Thursday, 19 May 2016

Safe Schools

There is a reason we have guidance counsellors to help us through high school. If there weren't people to help us it would be very difficult. Even if we do have guidance counsellors, sometimes the difference in age might make it difficult for them to understand the situation and how we feel. At Mary Ward, the support system, I think, is pretty good. I feel comfortable because I have a TA that asks how we are doing, and friends and a guidance counsellor that are willing to help me if I need it. I can't imagine a fourteen year old girl, almost as old as me, feeling so helpless that she would hurt others also. I know that not everyone has safe and caring situations at school because some people are just plain mean. However, we can let people know they are not alone when you notice someone is sad or lonely, or when you see someone that is being bullied, don't do nothing and watch, let the victim know that someone actually cares for them. The reason why that 14 year old girl attacked other students is because she felt alone, she felt that no one believed she was being bullied and that there was no one able to help her.
Our school, as well as others can have a W.A.R.D. unit about bullying sometime in the near future where people can talk about bullying and why it is happening. Actually, there was even the play about a guy who was being bullied because of his sexual orientation. This play was very emotional and it gave us a peek into what happens when someone is being bullied and the emotions we are going through and it makes us think about how we treat others in the process. My friend, yesterday, felt like she was being bullied on the bus when one of the people in our grade was shoving a bag on to her and laughing at her at the same time. I wish I was there to stop it but if I was, would I be able to stop it? Would I have the courage? I don't know but bullying is a serious problem that could lead to dangerous situations but there are ways to solve it other than hurting other people.  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you! We has some great resources that we can turn to when we need help. These resources can encourage us to reach out for help and as well as set out of our comfort zone. Without having the unique system such as this, the school would be so different.

    ReplyDelete